Renewable energy (water, sunlight, wind) power plants are set up across the globe as fossil fuels (coal, natural gas, diesel) are depleting at an alarming rate. Hence, the conventional method is widely used to generate energy. A diesel power plant produces electricity from liquid fuel (diesel) or natural gas.
Types of diesel power plants
There are two main types of diesel power plants:
- One engine that uses gasoline
- Another type that uses diesel as fuel
The diesel engines come in three different sizes: small, medium, and large. Another classification of power plants includes two-strokes and four-strokes.
Why are diesel power plants preferred?
Diesel power plants are used widely even though the resources are getting depleted because:
- Producing energy using fossil fuels has been done for decades now. It is the most reliable source to produce electricity.
- The units, devices, and equipment used to produce energy in diesel power plants have a longer life span.
- Installation and layout are easy.
- The energy loss is less compared to other sources. It requires less water to cool.
- Varying loads can be powered easily through the energy from these power plants.
- It does not take much storage space and has a low maintenance cost.
- Starting time is less.
- The noise made by the diesel engine is negligible.
Where is diesel power plants used?
Diesel power plants are widely used to supply various industries and commercial companies with energy. The automobile industry, construction industry, mining, hospitals, agriculture, and many more are dependent on these power plants for electricity.
The primary use of diesel power plants is for powering stadiums, airports, and industries (with Diesel generator) because:
- Airport: They require a large quantity of power to run all the devices and types of machinery. Numerous generators are connected parallelly to power the airport. Massive amount of energy is under consumption; hence, Diesel power plants are used to power them.
- Stadiums: The stadium houses several powerful lights. Apart from that, many electronic gadgets are also under constant use. All these require a tremendous amount of energy, which is effectually taken care of by diesel power plants.
- Industries: A Cummins Genset needs a stable power flow. The power plants provide needful power. Industries with Cummins Genset use energy from this plant for their stability, efficiency, and quantity.
Diesel power plants have been constructed across the globe to produce the required energy. This method is efficient and produces ample power. Fossil fuels are non-renewable resources; hence, people are looking for viable options. Many people have started using renewable resources to generate electricity as it is eco-friendly and available in abundance. Research of many kinds is being carried out to optimize renewable sources and produce energy from it.
But, many large-scale industries and companies are dependent on diesel power plants for electricity. It is because these power plants can produce a large amount of energy and can power varying loads that are driven using energy from Diesel power plants.